Spain’s Council of Ministers approved on February 15 a proposal of the Ministry for the Ecological Transition to regulate the funds programme for efficient and sustainable mobility (MOVES Program).
The programme, with a budget of €45 million, is co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and will be jointly managed by the Institute for Energy Diversification and Saving (IDAE).
The MOVES program includes aid for the construction of infrastructure for recharging electric vehicles both for private use, non-residential public and business, as well as rental systems for electric bicycles, with a limit of 100,000 euros.
Requirements of the Efficient and Sustainable Mobility Incentive Program:
- The applicant must be a natural person over 18 years old. Individuals cannot acquire more than one vehicle; professionals have a limit of 30 units.
- Buy an electric car for less than 40,000 euros. This limit is raised to 45,000 euros for people with disabilities, with reduced mobility and for large families.
- The applicant must have been the owner for more than one year of an over ten- year-old vehicle registered in Spain, which must be definitively removed from circulation and debited.
- The last receipt of the circulation tax (Mechanical Traction Vehicle Tax) duly paid since 2014 of the vehicle to be scraped, which must have the ITV in force.
Amount of aid
The Moves Plan establishes different amounts according to the type of buyer and vehicle to be acquired.
- Private buyers. This category includes pure electric, plug-in hybrids and hybrids of extended autonomy, with the condition that their selling price does not exceed 40,000 euros (45,000 euros for people with reduced mobility and large families).
|Vehicle||Motor||Autonomy (kms)||Aid (euros)|
|Passenger cars||Fuel cell||5.500|
|Electric||12 – 32||1.300|
|32 – 72||2.600|
|Vans||Electric and fuel cell||> 32||6.000|
|Light trucks||Electric and fuel cell||8.000|
|CNG, LNG o bi-fuel||5.000|
|Heavy trucks||Electric and fuel cell||15.000|
- Professional buyers: SMEs and large companies can also request discounts on the purchase of efficient vehicles. The amounts are as follows:
|Aid for SMEs||Aid for large companies|
|Passenger cars||Fuel cell||5.500||5,500|
|Electric||De 12 a 32||1.100||1.100|
|De 32 a 72||2.300||2.200|
|Más de 72||4.000||3.000|
|Motorcycles||Electric||Más de 70||750||700|
|Vans||Electric and fuel cell||Más de 32||5.000||4.000|
|Light buses and vans||Electric and fuel cell||6.000||5.000|
|LPG, CNG, autogás, LNG o bi-fuel||2.500||2.000|
|Heavy buses and vans||Electric and fuel cell éctrico||15.000||15.000|
|LPG, CNG, autogás, LNG o bi-fuel||6.000-15.000||
When to ask for the grants
The Moves Plan was approved on February 18, 2019, but the aid is not yet available. The autonomous communities will be responsible for distributing the budget granted to them. The allocation will not be distributed until it has been decided how much each autonomous community will receive, which will be done according to criteria such as the population or the number of vehicles registered in each community.
From that moment, the autonomous governments will have a period of two months to make the call public. The aid will be assigned in strict order of receipt of the requests and until the budget is exhausted.
Once the documentation is submitted, the maximum period to resolve and notify the resolution will be six months from the date of filing the application. In the event that a resolution has not been received within that period, the request will be dismissed.