Act. 1: Assessment of good practices and lessons learned
o Detailed analysis of the success story “Samsø – Renewable energy island”. In addition, successful practices related to efficient energy consumption and the rational use of energy sources implemented in the other islands will be considered in the analysis as well.
o Detailed analysis of the partner island contexts from the geographical, climatic, economic and legislative point of view, and self-assessment on how an awareness campaign for consumers can be best exploited in the respective islands’ contexts.
This first phase represents the core activity for developing the knowledge to be used for starting off with Pilot Actions and implementing awareness campaigns on the partner islands and on a larger scale at EU level. In this phase is crucial the participation of the stakeholders involved.
Act. 2: Capacity building and local awareness campaign
This second phase relates to the transfer of knowledge assessed in the first phase to the islands. The objectives of this phase are:
– To set up awareness campaigns with actions tailored to the different island contexts, aimed to reach energy efficient behaviour among consumers/households in the short to medium term.
– To integrate the lessons learnt into islands’ energy action plans, aimed to reach benefits and energy efficient behaviour among consumers/households in the long run.
The second phase will be implemented through three Pilot Actions that will be carried out in each project target islands (Iceland, Kos, Tenerife).
Each Pilot Action will consist of the following steps:
1) Knowledge Transfer and capacity building workshops led by Samsø Energy Agency as main teaching institution/ mentor and further integrated by the energy agencies of the other partner islands. Workshops will have duration of 2 days and will involve regional key stakeholders as intermediaries and multipliers (i.e. policy makers, consumer organisations, energy producers, SME associations, hotel associations, etc.) as well as households as end-consumers.
An EASW (European Awareness Scenario Workshop) session will be also organised in order to reach consensus among different regional stakeholders as regards the content of the awareness campaigns to be carried out in each island.
2) Awareness campaign, based on the results obtained through the regional workshops. The awareness campaign will be tailored to the regional framework conditions and implemented over the period of 18 months.
3) Support preparation of legislative measures: Lessons learnt from the workshops and in particular from the EASW sessions will be integrated into future energy action plans of the islands. The aim of this action is to guarantee a long term impact, and thus the sustainability of the PROMISE actions also beyond the project duration.
Act. 3: European awareness campaign
– A workshop/event will be organised in Brussels inviting representatives of at least 20 European islands involved in ISLENET, the Network of European Island Authorities, and further networks and initiatives, such as the CPMR – Conference of peripheral maritime regions and the European Energy Network.
– A large scale awareness campaign addressed to all European islands.